If your home, office, or workshop doesn’t currently have a central AC system, a hot summer can make it unbearably uncomfortable, and window-mounted units are both difficult to install and confined to a single room. Fortunately, it’s easy to move one of these portable air conditioners to anywhere you’d like to keep cool.
10. NewAir Ultra Compact
With a reasonable 10,000-BTU rating, the slim NewAir Ultra Compact is ideal for medium-sized spaces. It’s a great choice for most consumers, thanks to its simple, intuitive controls, and its reusable, activated-carbon filter.
- includes a full-featured remote
- generous 59-inch hose
- exhaust coupling is pretty weak
9. Honeywell MF Series
The Honeywell MF Series is designed for rooms of up to about 300 square feet. Its single-hose setup means it’s not quite as effective as some, but it’s considerably smaller than most options, and it’s noticeably quieter, as well.
- auto-evaporating design
- not an eyesore like bulkier ones
- operated solely by remote control
8. Honeywell 10
The crowd-favorite Honeywell 10 delivers optimum cooling and dehumidification, able to condense nearly 70 liters of water per day. It does its job quietly and unobtrusively in the background, and it’s been known to last for several years when properly cared for.
- feather-touch digital controls
- exhaust hose tends to radiate heat
- temperature display can be confusing
7. Whynter ARC-143MX
The sleek and environmentally-friendly Whynter ARC-143MX is built for high-efficiency operation and cleaner air using an ozone-safe refrigerant and lead-free components. It’s pricier than similar units, but the quality and durability are worth it.
- patented auto-drain function
- can be modified to fit any window
- controls are a bit tough to use
6. DeLonghi Whisper Cool
The versatile, powerful, and elegant DeLonghi Whisper Cool is equipped with a one-of-a-kind “real feel” feature that delivers the perfect blend of temperature and humidity year-round, always ensuring your home is comfortable.
- quiet mode cuts noise in half
- recycles moisture automatically
- great for rooms of up to 400 sq ft
5. Whynter ARC-122DHP
The Whynter ARC-122DHP is highly rated by experts, thanks in large part to an industry-leading 12.0 energy efficiency rating. That high EER is partially due to its well-insulated hoses, and unlike some others, its motor doesn’t unintentionally radiate heat.
- gets cold more quickly than others
- also functions as a space heater
- window kit may require modification
4. Global Air
Achieve rapid, evenly distributed cooling in your bedroom or den with the Global Air. Its four-way air-direction channels and upward-facing vents make for excellent circulation, and you’ll never have to empty its self-evaporating reservoir.
- among the most affordable models
- precise temperature controls
- automatic freeze protection
3. Friedrich ZoneAire
The versatile Friedrich ZoneAire offers an all-in-one fan, a dehumidifier, a heater, and a dual-hose A/C design for 40% faster results. It’s one of the most effective around, but it costs more than much of the competition and isn’t particularly efficient.
- powerful 13500 btu rating
- quick startup with snap-in hoses
- convenient 24-hour timer
2. Frigidaire Cool Connect
The Frigidaire Cool Connect is one of the first WiFi-enabled options on the market, and it’s already becoming a huge hit. One of its greatest features is the ability to turn it on remotely before you get home, so you don’t have to wait for the comfort of cold air.
- powerful top-mounted fan
- perfect addition to a smart home
- ultra-low-profile exhaust bracket
1. Whynter ARC-14S
The powerful Whynter ARC-14S boasts 14,000 BTUs of thermal ability, besting almost every other appliance available. Not only does it lower temperatures quicker than the rest, but it does so with minimal energy usage, while looking better than the typical bland, white box.
- cools larger areas than most others
- internal carbon filter
- condenses up to 12 gallons per day